- Solid Liquid Gas
- Rebecca Posner
- 1-2 Days or Teacher Discretion
This technology project can be used as a culminating activity integrated into core content subject areas, an enrichment activity or a cooperative group project. It can also be used by technology teachers as a standalone project.
Teacher will apply standards according to their district or state standards and curriculum guidelines.
1. Be able to describe the properties of solids, liquids, and gases
2. Use technology to share what they’ve learned.
1. Plastic Ice Cubes that can be frozen
2. Water- cup and other containers
3. Pot you plug in and boil
4. Computer lab, computers, laptops or iPads
1. Voki.com: (http://www.voki.com), Voki app, Voki Classroom, Voki Presenter
2. How to Make a Voki Support Guide: http://www.voki.com/site/support
3. How to use Voki Presenter Support Guide: http://www.voki.com/site/support
1. Tell students that today they will be learning about the states of matter – solid, liquid and gas.
2. Show the students water in the three states of matter—an ice cube (solid -when you freeze water), water (liquid- when the ice cube melts), and water boiling in a pot- the “pot” I will plug in and turn the switch to boil in which steam/gas will be displayed (gas- when you heat water).
3. Ask students to share their observations about each state of water. Record the qualities of each state of matter on the board.
1. Have students create a Voki character. Ask students to have their Voki character explain the qualities of each state of matter.
2. Have students share their Vokis in pairs, small groups, or as a ticket out the door.